After two paper mache' balloon blowouts, I finally had success with my third attempt. Note to self: keeping balloons away from light bulbs equals less flour and paper in your face. [Side note: I prefer to use supermarket brown bags and a heated flour/water mixture for the paper mache' goop. That seems to work the best] As you can see, I made a hole in the front for my face and used a box cutter to cut some holes and insert other pieces that I wanted for my school picture creation. I then hot glued them in place and used gesso to give my creation some consistency color wise. Then as anyone would do after having a frustrating day at work, I decided to....
make a companion to go on top of what I was making. I used one smaller balloon and attached four skinny balloons to the bottom. This took awhile but at least nothing blew up on me. I think you can take a guess what I am making with what it looked like after numerous layers of paper mache'
I was inspired by a children's story I am working on involving an octopus.
Stay Tuned for the painting process and the reveal of this year's school picture along with a Freaky Friday Book Review :)